Colored lights help set the right mood, and get my girls to sleep

December 11, 2013 in review

When I changed OB practices earlier this year, one of the things I noticed at the backup OB office was that they had blue lights in the lamps…they help to relax you and are tranquil. I was immediately intrigued by this idea. If a doctors office that often sees high-risk patients and talks about using evidence based practices is using them, then I want to be using them, too.

Mood lights helping my kids sleep

My two oldest girls have been going through a phase (with the time change) where they were having a hard time falling asleep. And, they were getting up and turning the closet light on and other lights because it was “too dark.” The problem was, it was so bright in the room, they weren’t sleeping well. When I was offered the chance to try out some Mood-Factory Mood-Lites, I was very excited. I knew that I wanted to try out a blue light in their room to help them relax and sleep, with enough light in the room that they wouldn’t turn on other lights.

And, it has helped. It’s amazing what a difference a blue light can make for them at night time. (Our house looks really funny from the outside with the blue light a glow, but whatever works, right?)

Mood-Factory has many Mood-lites available with other “moods;” They include Passion (red-use this to set a romantic mood in your bedroom); Renewal (green) Happiness (yellow); Energy (Orange); Serenity (Light Blue); Sassy (Pink); Creativity (Purple) and Tranquility (Deep Blue)

Mood-Factory Mood-lites

“Mood-lites represent Mood-Factory’s first line of products which are based on the sense of sight, and specifically, in regards to how colors affect how we feel,” said the Chicago-based Kathryn Goetzke, President, Mood-Factory. “We initially launched an incandescent line in 2004, and in 2012 launched a 2nd generation including flood, porch, and compact fluorescent (CFL) Mood-lites. The colors were developed using a number of color expert research, and applying their general concepts to lighting.”

In 2004, in addition to launching the Mood-Factory, Kathryn Goetzke founded the International Foundation for Research and Education on Depression (iFred), www.depression.org, to shine a positive light on depression and eliminate the stigma associated with the disease through prevention, research and education. Its goal is to ensure 100% of the 350 million people affected by depression seek and receive treatment. Kathryn has seen first-hand the devastating affects depression has had on friends and families and donates part of the proceeds of the Mood-Factory product-line to iFred.

The Mood-lites come in several different “lite” styles as well: Incandescent Mood-lites, Compact Flourescent (CFL) Mood-lites, Creativity CFL Mood-lite Flood Mood-lites, Porch Lights, and CFL Porch Lights.

We’ve got some giant red flood Mood-lites to put up over our driveway in the spirit of Christmas…we just have to find a ladder to get up there!

I also plan to bring a blue light and possibly a green one with me to the hospital when the time comes to help me relax and/or give me a new source of energy during the labor and birth of baby B.

*I received several lights from Mood-Factory to facilitate my review. All thoughts are my own. This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I make a couple pennies:)

CommentLuv badge

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Katherine G
Twitter: KGLalalandmommy
December 12, 2013 at 9:31 am

This sounds great!! I can definitely see myself trying this.
Katherine G´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday: Toys R Us Fun

Jennifer December 12, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I’ve heard about mood lighting before. We put a Vicks Vapor plug-in in my daughter’s room when she was sick last week and even though the vapor smell is gone we have keep plugging it in at night because it also has a blue light on it which she likes.
Jennifer´s last blog post ..Sneak Peek at Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Opening in March at Universal Studios in Orlando

Kita
Twitter: kreative10
December 13, 2013 at 8:26 am

My kids get up sometimes scared of the dark but I send them back to bed. I have a night light in the bathroom if they get up in the night but this sounds much better.
Kita´s last blog post ..What to get for Christmas?

noelle d December 13, 2013 at 9:23 am

I never thought about lights… i know that the color of the walls make a difference, this is great to know I can buy and change the light colors…

Kecia December 13, 2013 at 10:59 am

I have been hearing so much about blue lights and mood/sleep. I may have to put one in my own bedroom to see if it will allow me to rest easier – though I think it may just be a baby that’s hindering me at the moment!!
Kecia´s last blog post ..Gifts in a Jar: White Chocolate Pretzels

Ashley McLure
Twitter: atlnewf
December 13, 2013 at 11:10 am

My kids have gotten some of those before on a lark. I may try getting more to put in various locations in the house.
Ashley McLure´s last blog post ..Medieval Times Atlanta – Operation Give Back #MTAtl

Jennifer December 13, 2013 at 11:59 am

I didn’t know that certain light colors had an effect on your mood! I may need to do a little more research and then get a tranquil one for the bedroom and a creative one for the office!
Jennifer´s last blog post ..My Favorite Christmas Song (Part 2)

Cassie @ Southeast by Midwest December 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I never thought that having different lights would effect the mood of a room! I’m going to have to see about getting me some of those blue bulbs for when I want to relax.
Cassie @ Southeast by Midwest´s last blog post ..#FridayFancies Sparkle + Shine

Jennifer @TheRebelChick
Twitter: therebelchick
December 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh I love colored lights! My daughter has a tiny little blue nightlight in her bedroom. She’s a teenager and not really afraid of the dark, but she says it relaxes her!
Jennifer @TheRebelChick´s last blog post ..Silly Gifts for Men to Make the Holidays More Merry #HilariousHoliday

Felicia December 13, 2013 at 5:45 pm

There’s a lot of research behind this. We actually have teachers that cover their lights with special shades that glow a soft blue. I’m glad you’ve found something that works.
Felicia´s last blog post ..2013 Christmas Card to You!

brett December 13, 2013 at 10:05 pm

i wonder if this would help my son who’s NEVER ever ever wanting to even try to sleep !! i’d give it a go for sure
brett´s last blog post ..Be inspired with ebay collections. Enter to win $25,000 Cash #FollowItFindIt

Zealous Mom December 13, 2013 at 10:26 pm

That is a great idea! I would never have thought about blue lighting. This would be especially cool for my four-year old as he getting to a point where he gets scared in the night.
Zealous Mom´s last blog post ..Oral health and diabetes? Who knew? #colgatetotal

Henrietta December 14, 2013 at 8:50 am

This is such a wonderful idea! I wish I would have known about blue lights helping sleep when my daughter was small, we probably could have had some easier nights!
Henrietta´s last blog post ..Let Glade® Sweet Holiday Treat™ inspire you to share new traditions!

katherine December 14, 2013 at 9:09 am

Oh I love these. It really is tranquil

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell December 14, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I wonder if that’s why I love blue holiday lights so much. They just make me feel happy and good inside. I need to try this and I can’t believe I’m saying that.

Shell December 15, 2013 at 9:06 am

I never thought about changing the color of the lights to affect mood. But it makes so much sense! My middle son fights sleep. Maybe I need to try a blue light for him!
Shell´s last blog post ..Getting Organized for the New Year

Autumn
Twitter: classic_mommy
December 15, 2013 at 9:07 am

I never thought about using colored lights to help improve mood. That’s very interesting, and if it works for you, that’s great! I will have to give these a try.
Autumn´s last blog post ..How To Host A Holiday Party With The Help Of BJ’s Wholesale

Rachel December 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I love this idea. My son doesn’t sleep well. He always wakes easily and gets up at 4am everyday. I should try this and see if it helps him any.
Rachel´s last blog post ..Pancake Fruit Cups Recipe

Jennifer @ My Sweet Sanity December 15, 2013 at 11:07 pm

OMG! I have to try this like now! Two of my boys are Autistic and many Autistic children have sleep issues due to low melatonin levels. One takes melatonin but the other needs prescription strength meds to get him to sleep. This then also causes my daughter who is the youngest to sleep poorly because they don’t go to bed easily. I am always trying to find things that will work to help our night routine become easier.
Jennifer @ My Sweet Sanity´s last blog post ..M&M Cookies