Everybody will cheer for Disney’s Queen of Katwe, which has earned widespread critical acclaim.
Based on the vibrant true story of a young girl (Madina Nalwanga) from the streets of Uganda whose world changes when she is introduced to the game of chess, and, as a result of the support she receives from her family and community, is instilled with the confidence and determination she needs to pursue her dream of becoming an international chess champion.
It is a remarkable story of perseverance against all odds that will leave viewers feeling humbled and inspired. According to director Mira Nair, “The triumph of the human spirit is not to weep for what we don’t have but to focus on what we do have and allow that to take us to a place we never imagined possible.”
Disney’s “Queen of Katwe” has earned widespread critical acclaim, including a 93% Certified Fresh critics consensus on Rotten Tomatoes. The triumphant film, which is based on a true story, arrives home on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) on Jan. 10 and on Blu-ray™, DVD and On-Demand on Jan. 31.
The In-Home Release:
The in-home release of “Queen of Katwe” takes viewers behind-the-scenes with filmmakers, as well as the cast and their real-life counterparts, through extensive bonus features, including a three-part documentary highlighting the amazing personal stories behind the film; audio commentary by director Mira Nair (“Salaam Bombay!,” “Mississippi Masala,” “Monsoon Wedding”); a short film by Nair depicting the life of Robert Katende; in-studio access to 15-time GRAMMY® Award-winning recording artist Alicia Keys during the creation of her new original song “Back to Life;” deleted scenes; and more.
The film stars David Oyelowo, Golden Globe® nominated for his portrayal of Martin Luther King Jr. in “Selma,” as dedicated chess mentor Robert Katende; Lupita Nyong’o, who earned worldwide acclaim with her Oscar®-winning performance in “12 Years a Slave,” as fiercely determined mother Harriet; and luminous newcomer Madina Nalwanga as chess champion Phiona Mutesi.
Directed by Mira Nair from a screenplay by William Wheeler, “Queen of Katwe” is produced by Lydia Dean Pilcher, p.g.a., and John Carls, p.g.a., with Will Weiske and Troy Buder serving as executive producers. The film features a cutting-edge Afrobeat soundtrack curated by the Ugandan rapper Young Cardamom (aka Zohran Kwame Mamdani); Alex Heffes’ buoyant orchestral score highlighting traditional Ugandan instruments; and “Back to Life,” performed by Alicia Keys, written by Keys, Carlo Montagnese and Billy Walsh, and produced by Illangelo and Keys.
Bonus features include*:
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL HD:
- Queen Of Katwe: Their Story – Discover the stories behind the people who came together to bring the film to life, and how they reflect the vibrant community, culture and spirit it celebrates.
- A Fork, A Spoon & A Knight – Director Mira Nair’s short film about Robert Katende, a boy who grows up to transform a Ugandan city into a globally renowned chess sanctuary.
- In The Studio With Alicia Keys – Go behind-the-scenes with Alicia Keys for an inspiring look at the song’s recording.
- Alicia Keys “Back To Life” Lyric Video – Sing along with on-screen lyrics.
- Young Cardamom & HAB “#1 Spice” Music Video – The Ugandan hip-hop duo bring the flavor in a music video directed by Mira Nair.
- Audio Commentary – With Director Mira Nair.
- Deleted Scenes (8) – With Introductions by Director Mira Nair.
- Audio Commentary
- Alicia Keys “Back to Life” Lyric Video
- Young Cardamom & HAB “#1 Spice” Music Video
*Bonus features may vary by retailer
What part of Queen of Katwe are you most excited about?