The other day, I had strong urge to have some Asian Style Coleslaw. It was right after my juice detox and I always crave vegetables hard when it’s over. I went to the store and bought a packaged kit and was hugely disappointed, so I set out to make my own with fresh ingredients. And it was AMAZING. I even brought it to a gathering with friends and the people loved it.
There’s some chopping involved. But the great thing is, you can totally make this your own with whatever mixings you want in your asian style slaw.
I started with cabbage I chopped, carrots, cilantro, a yellow bell pepper (pick one you like) and almonds. You can also add edamame and cucumber at this point, too. If you are one of those people that likes onion and garlic, you could probably add those here, but know that it’s fabulous without those.
Then it’s just a matter of mixing up the dressing, pouring it over the slaw and giving it a good toss to cover all of the vegetables. It stays crunchy and fresh for a few hours, but the cabbage will get soggy so don’t make a ton extra and plan on eating leftovers.
Since I was coming off of my detox the first time I made it, I basically devoured my whole bowl in one setting. I have dreams about this asian style coleslaw. It’s got the right mix of all of the flavors to really make your tastebuds sing.
Want to make it a full meal? Add some chicken or pork to the salad.
Asian Style Cole Slaw
- 2 16-ounce bags coleslaw mix or 1 head of cabbage sliced thin
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 2 carrots shreded
- 1 cup edamame optional
- 1 cup English cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 grinds black pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered or chopped almonds
- Toss the coleslaw mix or cabbage, the cilantro, bell pepper and carrots (and edamame and cucumber) together in a large bowl until everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Whisk the remaining dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until blended, then pour over the vegetables.
Looking for a more traditional coleslaw? Check out this one.