I love it when Mr. Serious offers to guest post. I mean, maybe I told him he had to write a spoiler-free review of Avengers: Infinity War in exchange for being my guest…you’ll never know!
I was super-excited when Krystyn, of the world-famous Really Are You Serious? blog, invited me to be her +1 to the screening of Avengers: Infinity War. Not only because it is the most anticipated Marvel movie since Black Panther, but because I, the husband, don’t usually get to go to the cool movie screenings. We even got a sitter, which is kind of a big deal for us, and it was definitely worth it!
Before I get too far along, I have to tell you that Shaquille O’Neal, Shaq, was at the theater for the screening! And no, he didn’t sit in front of me and he was not Shaqtin’ a Fool. So, if Shaq wants to see Infinity War, I’m sure you do too.
For the Marvel lover, this movie has got everything. Tons of characters (see poster that’s busier than the post office on tax day), lots of action, and great jokes and one-liners sprinkled in throughout the intense and power-packed movie.
Unlike Captain America: Civil War, where you are just waiting for the Avengers to stop super-hero slapping each other around with no real suspense, Infinity War pits the ultimate mega-villain, Thanos, and his capable thugs against the heretofore seemingly invincible Avengers. You’ll know from the start, that this is not your typical happy-go-lucky good guy super-hero movie. One word, two syllables – IN-TENSE.
Do Your Homework
Can you watch this movie without seeing any of the previous Marvel movies and enjoy it? Sure, because it’s action-packed and simultaneously full of one-liners and zings. You will laugh, maybe cry and simultaneously clinch your teeth throughout the 2.5 hours. “It’s all been leading to this.” ―Tony Stark
However, seeing all of the previous Marvel movies really enhances the experience. The only character that is really “developed” during this movie is Thanos, and some of Gamora’s back story. All the other characters just explode on the screen and leverage all of their prior screen time and character development from the prior movies. If you know their previous relationships, it helps!
So, what are the 5 Marvel movies you really need to see prior to this one. Here’s my take, in order of importance:
- Thor Ragnarok
- Black Panther
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Doctor Strange
Don’t get me wrong, seeing all the Marvel movies helps even more, but if you see these 5, then I think you’ll have a pretty good grasp of what’s going on. (Krystyn here…I would add Captain America: Civil War also, but then that makes me want to add them all!)
It’s all about the Infinity Stones
“Before creation itself, there were six singularities. Then the universe exploded into existence, and the remnants of these systems were forged into concentrated ingots… Infinity Stones.”—The Collector
SPACE STONE (Tesseract)
- Color: Blue
- Power: Used to control space and create advanced weaponry
- Currently in possession: Asgard
REALITY STONE (Aether)
- Color: Red
- Power: Ability to warp reality at will, immense strength, durability, powers, and subjective influence over the universe
- Currently in Possession: The Collector
POWER STONE (Orb)
- Color: Purple
- Power: Increases physical abilities, allows manipulation of energy. Can obliterate an entire planet when unleashed.
- Currently in Possession: Nova Corps
MIND STONE (from Loki’s scepter)
- Color: Yellow
- Power: Subjugate the minds of others, bending them to the will of the user. Increased intelligence.
- Currently in Possession: Vision
TIME STONE (Eye of Agamotto)
- Color: Green
- Power: Able to control the flow of time.Currently in
- Possession: Doctor Strange
- Color: Orange
- Power: Unknown
- Currently in Possession: Unknown
Take the Kids?
This is a tough one without spoilers, but kids will love the action, but could get scared by the violence and dark plot line. Yes, it’s not a surprise that the Avengers are fighting to stave off a potential genocide/apocalypse, that happens in every Marvel movie, but this one just feels more threatening. Thanos is no joke.
The stuff for the kids can be potentially very heavy. It depends on your child’s maturity and if they won’t have any issues understanding that they aren’t real people.
Which Avenger Kicks the Most Butt
There’s plenty of action to go around, but a few of the Avengers really stand out.
- Black Panther – You get a “Wakanda Forever!” shout, and that does not disappoint. T’Chala steps up as King and provides his leadership and resources to the Avengers in true Wakanda-esque hospitality.
- Doctor Strange – He’s not messing around. He’s got a spell for every situation, not to mention an Infinity Stone to wield.
- Thor – You saw his power come out in Thor Ragnarok, but he electrifies the screen with fearless heroics in Infinity War. At one point, the theater cheered his arrival to the scene. Epic!
This movie is a must see. I’ve seen it once, and I can’t wait to see it again. Plus, I can’t wait to see what comes out next!
A little foreshadowing maybe? “In time, you will know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that you’re right, yet to fail all the same. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.”―Thanos
Oh, and the post-credit scene (this is Marvel Cinematic Universe, you know it’s coming) actually shows the building where I work, it’s the black building across the street from the Dunkin’ Donuts. So, to recap – Intense, Shaq was there, and my office is in the movie (kind of)! And, it hints at what is coming next, too!