Putting food into a lettuce wrap is a great way to enjoy savory and tasty foods without the added carbs and gluten of bread, wraps or tortillas. Plus a lettuce wrap is so refreshing and delicious. You can take it a step further and deconstruct that wrap into a salad for easier eating and clean up! (Yeah, sometimes those wraps drip down your arm while you are eating them! Check out this amazing gluten-free Thai lettuce wrap salad.
Gluten-Free Thai Lettuce Salad
One of the great things about this gluten-free Thai lettuce salad is that you can sort of wing it and vary the ingredients depending on your tastes.
For the meat and seasoning you’ll need olive oil, onion, mushrooms, garlic, ground chicken breast, gluten-free hoisin sauce, gluten-free soy sauce, gluten-free oyster sauce, sesame oil, fresh ginger, sriracha, water chestnuts, green onions.
In just a flash, your savory Thai-inspired meat will be done and ready to go on top of your fresh bed of lettuce, cabbage and carrots.
You’ll top things off with a drizzle of some gluten-free peanut sauce (add a little more sriracha here for an added kick) and enjoy.
The variety you can come up with here are also endless.
There is quite the variety and way to change this recipe up. It would be delicious with either slivered almonds on top or some chopped up peanuts.
If you like a little heat, you could even add some crushed red pepper on top, or in the sauce with the chicken.
I also really enjoy cilantro and know this would be amazing with some fresh cilantro on top (but I definitely know that cilantro is a touchy subject).
Don’t need gluten free?
Then you won’t have to hunt around for all of the gluten-free sauce options. I always like to check labels for gluten and especially MSG when buying Asian sauces as MSG gives me a headache, so be aware and always check.
Wrap it up
If you don’t to eat this as a salad, you can absolutely put it in a lettuce wrap and wrap it up. It’s going to taste amazing either way!
Can you think of anything else you might add, or would you eat this as is?
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 mushrooms minced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/4 c gluten-free hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1/4 c water chestnuts minced
- 2 green onions diced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 head butter lettuce shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup Thai peanut sauce
- Prep your onion, mushrooms, and water chestnuts.
- Set to the side.
- Using a large skillet add your olive oil and turn your heat to medium.
- Add your diced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender, stirring often.
- Add your mushrooms and continue cooking for 3 more minutes.
- Add garlic.
- Stir to combine.
- Add ground chicken and cook until browned.
- Using a spatula crumble the chicken as it cooks.
- In a small bowl add your hoisin, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, ginger and Sriracha.
- Stir until combined.
- Add your sauce into the chicken mixture.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, then remove from the heat.
- Set to the side.
- Prep your salad mixture butter lettuce, shredded cabbage, and carrots.
- Top with your chicken mixture.
- Drizzle with Peanut sauce.
- Garnish with diced green onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 1246mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 30g