My sister got me a Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper for Christmas with some yummy cherry flavoring to glaze it. I loved the glaze, but the girls weren’t fans. But, they are fans of popcorn and love the sweet and salty of kettle corn. I figured there had to be a way to make it in the Whirley-pop!* (Don’t have a Whirley Pop, see below)
I looked, found and tweaked and now we have homemade sweet and salty kettle corn whenever we want. The first batch was devoured and it only took like 5 minutes to get the ingredients, measure it out, and pop it. Then you just have to let it cool (if you can stand it), because hot sugar is hot!
I gathered the ingredients (oil, corn kernels, sugar, kosher salt and the whirley-pop).
Mixed the oil, corn and sugar into the popper, closed the lid, and got to whirling the handle. Whirl, whirl and soon enough there is popping. When it gets hard to turn, the popcorn is done.
We poured it out, tried to patiently let it cool, and eat. And, steal some when your mom is trying to photograph it.
The sweet and salty combo is just perfect for either craving!
- 3 Tablespoons oil, your choice of vegetable or coconut
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In the whirley-pop, add popcorn kernels, oil, and sugar.
- Heat over medium high heat while stirring.
- When it is hard to stir, remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt to coat.
- Allow the popcorn to cool and enjoy!
Looking to make this without a Whirly pop?
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot with a lid over medium heat.
- Add the popcorn kernels, and food coloring. Once the oil is hot, add sugar over the popcorn kernels. Stir continuously.
- Place the lid on the pot and shake the pan until the popping slows or stops. This should only take 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour kettle corn into a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Then add sprinkles and other nonpareils as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 601mgCarbohydrates: 34gNet Carbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g