Sleep like a baby…or a toddler…or an elementary kid. Ha. It seems like it just when we figure out getting them the best sleep at the right time for them, they change! Since there isn’t one sure fire thing, I thought I would share several of the things that are in our bag of tricks. Why? Because sleep is important for all of us!
Simple sleep tips for kids (and honestly, adults, too)
- The right time.
- The most important thing is getting to bed at the right time for you. Everybody doesn’t require the same amount of sleep or have the same sleep rhythm. You have to get to bed when you are tired, but not too tired.
- I like a pitch black room. One little hint and it totally distracts me. My kids like a little night light, so we started using a dull blue light to help relax them and set the tone for sleep.
- Bedtime Routine
- We are creatures of habit, so we’ve started our bedtime routines early. The kids know what to expect and know that we will have calm activities before bed like reading and bedtime songs. If we get all hyper before bedtime, it is harder for them to fall asleep.
- Quiet or controlled “noise”
- For me, I like it to be quiet. But if there is noise around (snoring, siblings in the room, etc), we’ve turned to a white noise machine. It helps cover up the noise of one sister waking in the middle of the night or taking a potty trip while not being a distraction.
Are there any other tips you would add for helping your children get a good night’s sleep?
Want to learn more about essential oils and using them in your home? Check out the premium starter kit and the great deal I’ve put together.