When my kids get home from school, they are so very hungry. “I need a snack now, mom. I’m so hungry.”
Yes, they have breakfast, a snack (either before or after lunch depending on lunch time), but they have been up since around 6:30 and they are home at 2:20, which means they have almost 3 hours until dinner.
Needless to say, they need a hearty, healthy snack to get them through homework time and the afternoon.
Sometimes snacks are just fruit and peanut butter, other times, we do a little more. We’ve enlisted the help of emeals, through their blogger program, for some time with their plethora of meal plan options: gluten-free, paleo, low cal, clean eating and more lifestyle choices. They have simple breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even dessert meal plans to help you easily and effectively plan meals for your family.
One of the new favorites is their kid-friendly meal plan. Each meal plan comes with a ready-made shopping list to help you get through the grocery store in no time flat!
Sign up for eMeals now!
You can see an example of one of the recipes from the Back to School kit below to enjoy with your kids.
I will also use a similar idea when we have leftover taco meat. I will create a layered taco salad that is a huge hit for the girls to take to school for lunch (and the hubby, too).
*I received a year subscription to emeals. All thoughts are my own and I’ve used them previously and paid for it!
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup store-bought guacamole or fresh chopped avocado
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- ½ cup shredded colby-Jack cheese (or use Cheddar)
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes (optional)
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1 (5½-oz) bag gluten-free tortilla chips or wholegrain chips
- Combine black beans, lime juice, ground cumin, and 2 to 3 teaspoons water in a medium bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher until almost smooth.
- Layer ¼ cup black bean mixture, 2 tablespoons guacamole, 2 tablespoons sour cream, 2 tablespoons salsa and 2 tablespoons cheese in 4 (1- or 2-cup) plastic containers.
- Top each with ¼ cup tomato and green onions, if desired.
- Serve with chips.