Are you a big The Nightmare Before Christmas fan? Do you like popcorn? Well then I think this Sally Popcorn is just for you! And if not, a NMBC fan, then enjoy some tasty, sweet, and crunchy popcorn.
I remember many, many, many (let’s not get carried away) years ago watching The Nightmare Before Christmas. It was so unlike any other movie I had seen before. I was intrigued for sure.
Cut to years later, and I’m excited to share the movie with my girls. They acted like they couldn’t ever watch the movie. In fact, they refused to watch it with me.
Come to find them later, curious, and watching the movie all on their own. They loved it!
Naturally, it seemed fitting to create a snack inspired by the movie, but that could also be enjoyed while watching the movie. This lead to this creation.
Sally Candy Coated Popcorn
You’ll need a handful of ingredients you likely already have at home: popped popcorn (make your own or buy it popped), unsalted sweet cream butter, sugar, light corn syrup, salt, vanilla extract, teal, yellow, pink food coloring, baking soda and black licorice to look like Sally’s strings / stitching.
Making the Candy Coating
It won’t take you much time to heat, melt and boil many of the ingredients on your stove.
And before you know it you are ready to color the candy coating.
Then it’s time to create the candy-coated popcorn. Try not to be impatient here. You aren’t quite done yet.
You’ve still got a little bit of baking time (okay, an hour) to cure the sugar and make the candy corn nice and crunchy and done.
Once it’s all cooled, you add the licorice (which I love…I know, not everybody is a fan!) so look like Sally’s stitching, and you have a tasty treat perfect for your next viewing of The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Like Kettle Corn? Check out how you can make your own at home.
- 16 C of popped popcorn
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter 1/2 C in each saucepan
- 2 C sugar 1 C in each saucepan
- 1/2 C light corn syrup 1/4 C in each saucepan
- 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp in each saucepan
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 tsp in each saucepan
- 1 tsp teal food coloring
- 1 tsp yellow food coloring
- 1 tsp pink food coloring
- 2 tsp baking soda 1/3 in each bowl
- 1 box Black licorice cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
Place your popcorn evenly on two large baking pans covered with parchment paper.
- In two medium saucepans over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 of each of the following ingredients to each saucepan.
- Add butter your butter first and melt.
- Stir in sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt into both saucepans.
- Bring to boil while stirring consistently.
- Boil without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Split the mixture into 3 small mixing bowls.
- Add your food colors one in each bowl.
- Mix all bowls until the mixture is evenly colored and combined.
- Stir in baking soda.
- Mixture will double.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn and stir to combine and evenly coat.
- Place the popcorn in the oven.
- Stir the popcorn every 15 minutes for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the black licorice